Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Secret Millionaire

Thoughts on Fox's latest wonder of the world, Secret Millionaire:

As hard as it is for my cold conservative heart to admit it, when you see people financially ruined by health care costs, it is hard to argue against some form of national health care. In any case, its not like we really have free market health care to start with.

I wonder if the individual recipients of the gifts realize they will only get to keep half the money after the government takes its vig. I wonder if that factors in to the descision making process of the donors (was I a donor, for tax purposes on both ends, I would prefer to donate to a worthy organization, instead of a worthy individual).

Finally, I think one thing the show illustrates well is what a wonderful thing the human connection between donor and recipient is. Something that is lost when government crowds out private charity initiative.

No comments:

Post a Comment